Friday 14 August 2009

Let's do it

It is the evening before a new season commences, and as I look longingly at my ticket for Stamford Bridge and hope for an unlikely Tigers triumph, I'm also pondering my more realistic wishes for the season.

I wish for Michael Turner to stay with the club until at least January, rubberstamping even further his iconic status with us all and doing enough to give us more than a chance of maintaining a top flight place.

I wish for Turner to play for England while on our books this season. You can bet anything you like that the moment he joins someone 'bigger', he is called up.

I wish for Phil Brown to not lose his ferocious passion for what he believes to be right, but does so with just a little more decorum and dignity.

I wish for a right back of at least equal ability to Sam Ricketts to be recruited pretty quickly.

I wish for Away Direct to be re-introduced, and its abolition by the chairman acknowledged as a rare but clear faux-pas.

I wish for City not to be patronised by any journalist or pundit who can't see any wood for the trees and assumes that any good performance is a fluke and any poor display is the norm.

I wish for Jozy Altidore and Kamel Ghilas to score 20 goals between them.

I wish for Bryan Hughes to be purchased by Colchester United on or before August 31st.

I wish for Nicky Featherstone to be given the overdue loan move to a lower division club he so obviously needs and deserves.

I wish for victory over Stoke City. Twice. With clean sheets and everything.

I wish for Jimmy Bullard to get fit, stay fit and inspire us week by week.

I wish for a sponsorless version of our new shirt to be made available for adults, as well as kids.

I wish for a semi-final place at least in one, or even both, of the Cups.

I wish for a feeling of pride and gratitude at the end of the season, irrespective of where we finish.